Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Deuteronomy 5-7

The Facts (Chapter number: Verse)

5:14 - No one may work on the Sabbath, not you or your son or you daughter of your male or female slave, nor your livestock, or the resident alien in your towns, so that your male or female slave may rest as well as you.
5:16 - Honor your mother and your father.
5:21 - Do not covet your neighbor's wife, nor your neighbors male or female slaves or donkey or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.

Deuteronomy 6 - No mention of any women.

7:3 - Do not intermarry with other nations, giving your daughters to their sons or taking their daughters for your sons.

My Comments

Okay, the ten commandments Moses goes over in Deuteronomy 5 are not the commandments that God wrote on the stone tablets. God spoke them to Moses, yes, but they were not put on tablets. But in Deuteronomy 5 it says that these are the ten that were written on the tablet. Can you make up your mind, Bible? Which are the real ten commandments?

And God is seriously holding the whole "I saved you from Egypt" thing over the Israelites' heads. I mean really, he's like "you better love me because remember how I saved you that one time?" "You better believe everything I said because remember how I got your out of Egypt?" "You better love me because I'm the one who saved you from Pharaoh." "Don't you ever dare doubt me because I'm the one who cared so much about your small group of people that I killed billions of people to take you out of slavery." On and on and on. Seriously, it's kind of sad. Maybe if God did more than just that ONE thing the people wouldn't be so skittish about him. Maybe if God, oh, I dunno, actually finally brought them to the land he promised them the people would finally settle and be all cool with him? Because, yeah, he took them out of Egypt but then what does he do right away? Force them to wander 40 years in the desert because he was pissed at the current generation. Not a God I'd be all willing to follow completely and without question. He really hasn't done much other than the whole rescuing them from slavery bit. Which, yeah, is great, but God's honestly not treating his chosen people much better than they were probably being treated in Egypt. Just wish God would quit being a broken record.

Tomorrow: Deuteronomy 8-13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone posting anonymously is very likely to not have their comment published. If you do not have a Google/Blogger account you can use the Name/URL option to attach a name to your comment. And remember to try and stay on topic. :)