Monday, June 6, 2011

Jeremiah 39-43

The Facts (Chapter number: Verse)

Jeremiah 39 - No mention of any women.

40:7 - "When all the leaders of the forces in the open country and their troops heard that the king of Babylon has appointed Gedaliah son of Ahikam governor in the land, and had committed to him men, women, and children those of the poorest of the land who had not been taken in exile to Babylon, they went to Gedaliah at Mizpah.

41:10 - "Then Ishmael took captive all the rest of the people who were in Mizpah, the king's daughters and all the people who were left in Mizpah, whom Nebuzaradan, the captain of the guard, had committed to Gedaliah son of Ahikam, Ishmael son of Nethaniah took them captive and set them out to cross over to the Ammonites.
41:16 - "Then Johanan son of Kareah and all the leaders of the forces with him took all the rest of the people whom Ishmael son of Nethaniah had carried away captive from Mizpah after he had slain Gedaliah son of Ahikam - soldiers, women, children, and eunuchs, whom Johanan brought back from Gibeon."

Jeremiah 42 - No mention of any women.

43:5-6 - "But Johanan son of Kareah and all the commanders of the forces took all the remnant of Jodah who had returned to settle in the land of Judah from all the nations to which they had been driven - the men, the women, the children, the princesses, and everyone whom Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard had left with Gedaliah son of Ahikam son of Shaphan: also the prophet Jeremiah and Baruch son of Neriah."

My Comments

I wish I had something to add here but I don't. Haven't even seen any recent news stories or opinion pieces or anything particularly interesting to mention or that haven't been covered well on other blogs. If the next reading proves to have nothing interesting to talk about I will definitely look a little more actively for something at least slightly interesting and on topic to talk about. But until then, Jeremiah is still boring and God is still a horrible, jealous douche-hat who would forbid his people from settling in Egypt where they would have their needs met and be pretty well off because it's not the land HE told them to live on and so help him if they even dare try to settle in Egypt to have a nice and peaceful life without him for he will strike them down and make sure the rest of their short, pitiful lives are filled with as much misery and pain as possible until they come crawling back to him (even then he'll probably keep them in pain just for good measure).

I mean, Jeremiah makes me angry but not really in any sort of feminist way. It just makes me angry because God is so obviously an asshole in this story. Not even hiding or disguising it. I'm sure some people can do some BS gymnastics on this to try and hide the blatant assholery from those with less wits about them, but really I would hope any reasonably competent person would at least recognize it was bullshit even if they choose to ignore it and go on praising God for being "awesome." Of course I've said this before, the whole book of Jeremiah since the start has basically filled me with anger because I have no clue how anyone could call this God "loving" or "good" which is why I'm kind of tired of writing about it. Again, the Bible is making me feel and sound like a broken record here. So when I say there's nothing to really talk about I don't mean that there isn't some troubling shit in the current reading, it's just that the troubling shit really isn't anything new and I've talked about it in detail within the last couple of posts. I'm sure I'll talk about it again, but at least if it's been a week or two since my last rant I don't feel as weird doing basically the same rant over and over and over.

I'm seriously gonna try to finish off Jeremiah this week, just so I can hopefully get into some new territory, but it's fairly long and pretty boring so it may take me two posts to finish... but it's just not a fun book to read at all. :\

Wednesday: More Jeremiah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone posting anonymously is very likely to not have their comment published. If you do not have a Google/Blogger account you can use the Name/URL option to attach a name to your comment. And remember to try and stay on topic. :)