Wednesday, September 29, 2010

2 kings 18-20

The Facts (Chapter number: Verse)

18:2 - Hezekiah's mother's name was Abi daughter of Zechariah.

19:21 - "She despises you, she scorns you - virgin daughter of Zion; she tosses her head - behind your back, daughter Jerusalem."

2 Kings 20 - No mention of any women.

My Comments

Okay, so I was really confused about 2 Kings 19:21. The "she" that is mentioned seemed very ambiguous to me and I was not sure who it was referring to. I first thought "she" was the cities of Zion and Jerusalem, since cities are often referred to as women. So I found other translations, hoping to clear up my confusion, and the King James version says:

"This [is] the word that the LORD hath spoken concerning him; The virgin the daughter of Zion hath despised thee, [and] laughed thee to scorn; the daughter of Jerusalem hath shaken her head at thee."

Here it seems to be talking about real women, so maybe the verse is talking about the actual women in the cities?

These verses are indented like they are meant to be more poetic than the regular verses, so that might be the reason why it is so ambiguous. I do love how the translations are pretty different, though. That has always been my favorite part about the Bible. If it is truly the word of God then why are there so many different versions of it?

Friday: 2 Kings 21-25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone posting anonymously is very likely to not have their comment published. If you do not have a Google/Blogger account you can use the Name/URL option to attach a name to your comment. And remember to try and stay on topic. :)