Friday, March 25, 2011

Isaiah 41-45

The Facts (Chapter number: Verse)

Isaiah 41 - No mention of any women.

42:14 - "For a long time I have held my peace, I have kept still and restrained myself; now I will cry out like a woman in labor, I will gasp and pant."

Isaiah 43 - No mention of any women.

44:2 - "Thus says the Lord who made you, who formed you in the womb and will help you; Do not fear, O Jacob my Servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen."
44:24 - "Thus says the Lord your God, your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb; I am the Lord who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who by myself spread out the world."

45:10 - "Woe to anyone who says to a father, 'What are you begetting?' or to a woman, 'With what are you in labor?'"

My Comments

A woman's reality is pain. But we know this is apparently nothing unnatural since God decreed that we shall basically live in pain our whole lives for the horrendous sin of eating an apple. So when a woman's reality is pain, why should we make a big fuss about the suffering women face in the world?

I was originally gonna leave the verses about the womb out, because it doesn't mention women anywhere in the passages. But then I realized, the fact that the woman ISN'T mentioned is really a big freakin' deal here. This is simply more erasure of women in the process of childbirth. God has made that baby in the womb and brings it forth, the woman is completely detached from the process. The womb is separated from the woman, and only a man is left as the responsible party for the creation of the fetus. It's insulting, since childbirth is incredibly dangerous for women even today, so thanks for erasing women's sacrifice to continue the human race, jackasses. No, gotta make sure the sex that has no risk in procreation gets a mention all the time, whether mortal and fallible or immortal and all powerful. Because men are actually important, you know?

Oh wait, but despite women having really NOTHING to do with the creation of a fetus, it is still women who have to bear all the pain when it comes to actually birthing the child. Really? Really? So men (or God) get all the credit for making the baby and the woman is the one expected to actually pay the price for that creation?

Yeah, thanks for that. I feel all warm and fuzzy already.

Monday: Isaiah 46-50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone posting anonymously is very likely to not have their comment published. If you do not have a Google/Blogger account you can use the Name/URL option to attach a name to your comment. And remember to try and stay on topic. :)